Flood Warnings and Advisories
Flood Watch – Columbia Region (UPGRADED), East Kootenay (UPGRADED) Slocan (UPGRADED), South Thompson River, Shuswap River
High Streamflow Advisory – North Thompson River, Thompson River, West Kootenay
UPDATED: June 9, 2017 10:00 AM
Current advisories from the River Forecast Centre as of 10:00 AM on Friday, June 9th are:
- Columbia region including tributaries around Golden, Revelstoke and the Columbia Valley – Flood Watch (UPGRADED)
- East Kootenay – Flood Watch (UPGRADED)
- Slocan River – Flood Watch (UPGRADED)
- South Thompson River – Flood Watch
- Shuswap River – Flood Watch
- Eagle River - High Streamflow Advisory (NEW)
- North Thompson River – High Streamflow Advisory
- Thompson River through Kamloops and downstream – High Streamflow Advisory
- West Kootenay – High Streamflow Advisory
River levels have been rising rapidly overnight and early Friday morning in response to rain and thundershowers. Rainfall amounts in the 5-30mm range have been observed throughout the region, with the highest amounts occurring through the Columbia region and East Kootenay.
Rivers are expected to continue to rise through Friday, and may approach or exceed flood level in the Columbia (including Kicking Horse River), East Kootenay (including the Elk River) and Slocan River.
The River Forecast Centre will continue to monitor conditions and will provide an update on conditions later today.
A High Streamflow Advisory means that river levels are rising or expected to rise rapidly, but that no major flooding is expected. Minor flooding in low-lying areas is possible.
A Flood Watch means that river levels are rising and will approach or may exceed bankfull. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected rivers may occur.
A Flood Warning means that river levels have exceeded bankfull or will exceed bankfull imminently, and that flooding of areas adjacent to the rivers affected will result.