Flood Warnings and Advisories
Flood Warning – Boundary
High Streamflow Advisory – Kootenay
UPDATED: 1000h May 10th, 2018
The following Flood Warnings, Watches and Advisories in the South-East region are MAINTAINED as of Thursday 1000hr:
- Flood Warning – Boundary, including the Kettle River, West Kettle River, Granby River and surrounding tributaries
- High Streamflow Advisory – West Kootenay, East Kootenay
Rainfall on Wednesday has led to rapidly rising river levels throughout the region.
A summary of key rivers includes:
- Kettle River near Westbridge (08NN026) is flowing at 420 m3/s (50-year flow) and rising. Additional rises are expected through Thursday and peaking later on Thursday. Additional rises of 10-30 cm are possible at the gauge location.
- Granby River at Grand Forks (08NN002) is flowing at approximately 465 m3/s (100-year flow) and rising. Additional rises of 10-30 cm are possible at the gauge location through the day on Thursday, with peak level expected Thursday afternoon or evening.
- West Kettle River at Westbridge (08NN003) is flowing at approximately 295 m3/s (200-year flow) and rising. Additional rises of 5-20 cm are possible at the gauge location through the day on Thursday, with peak level expected Thursday afternoon or evening.
- Kettle River near Ferry (FRYW1), a USGS hydrometric gauge in Washington State, is approximately 5 inches above the flood of record from 1948.
Smaller river systems have reached their peak levels from this rainfall event. Current weather forecast through the region today and tomorrow may be unsettled, but no significant rainfall or warming (ie rapid snowmelt) is expected.
The River Forecast Centre will continue to monitor conditions and update this advisory as conditions warrant.
Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Tel: 250 356-7506
Levels of Warnings/Advisories: