Flood Warnings and Advisories
Flood Warning – Boundary
High Streamflow Advisory – Kootenay
UPDATED: 1130h May 11th, 2018
The following Flood Warnings, Watches and Advisories in the South-East region are MAINTAINED as of Friday May 11, 1130hr:
- Flood Warning – Boundary, including the Kettle River, West Kettle River, Granby River and surrounding tributaries
- High Streamflow Advisory – West Kootenay, East Kootenay
Rainfall on Wednesday and Thursday has led to extreme flows across the region. River levels have peaked from this rainfall, and levels have been slowly receding Friday morning.
A summary of key rivers includes:
- Kettle River near Westbridge (08NN026) is flowing at 320 m3/s (10-year flow) and receding
- Granby River at Grand Forks (08NN002) is flowing at approximately 480 m3/s (100-year flow) after peaking at 530 m3/s on Thursday
- West Kettle River at Westbridge (08NN003) is flowing at approximately 200 m3/s (200-year flow) and has dropped from a peak of approximately 310 m3/s on Thursday
Weather is expected to begin to warm on Friday, with an extended period of warm to hot weather through the weekend and into next week. While river levels are expected to ease through Friday and Saturday, increasing snowmelt rates will lead to rises in levels into next week.
The River Forecast Centre will continue to monitor conditions and update this advisory as conditions warrant.
Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Tel: 250 356-7506
Levels of Warnings/Advisories: