Flood Warnings and Advisories
High Streamflow Advisory - Bonaparte River (DOWNGRADED), North Okanagan (MAINTAINED) Salmon (MAINTAINED), North and South Thompson (MAINTAINED) - Similkmeen (ENDED), Lower Nicola River (ENDED), South Okanagan (ENDED)
ISSUED: 11:00 AM June 2nd, 2020
The River Forecast Centre is downgrading, or maintaining, to a High Streamflow Advisory for:
- Bonaparte River (DOWNGRADED)
- North Okanagan including tributaries around Vernon, Lumby, Winfield and surrounding areas
- Salmon River near Salmon Arm
- North Thompson River including mainstem and Clearwater River and smaller tributaries
- South Thompson River including Shuswap River and tributaries
The River Forecast Centre is ending a High Streamflow Advisory for:
- Similkameen and tributaries including the Ashnola River
- South and Central Okanagan including tributaries around Kelowna, Penticton, Osoyoos including Mission Creek and Mill Creek and surrounding areas
- Nicola River including the Coldwater River and Nicola River and downstream of Nicola Lake through Spences Bridge
Weekend rainfall has led to high streamflow throughout the region over the past few days. Most areas have now experienced the peak river levels from this rainfall runoff. In small and mid-sized watersheds, river levels are expected to continue to improve through this week.
In the South Thompson (and tributaries including the Shuwsap River) and North Thompson Rivers, rises in river levels in the 2-year to 5-year range are expected into the middle of the week, with the potential for flows on the South Thompson and Shuswap Rivers to reach up to 10-year flows later in the week.
The public is advised to stay clear of the fast-flowing rivers and potentially unstable riverbanks during the high-streamflow period.
The River Forecast Centre continues to monitor the situation and provides updates as conditions warrant.
Contact for Media Relations, Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development:
Tel: 250 356-7506
Levels of Warnings/Advisories: